Obtain Tax ID Number
Obtaining a Tax ID Number for your LLC is actually not difficult at all. You, or the person you authorized to apply for an EIN (if you choose not to do it yourself), can apply for the tax ID number by visiting the IRS website and use the on-line tool available for business entities that have as place of business the U.S. or U.S. Territories. There are a few simple conditions that you need to meet in order to apply for an EIN for your LLC:
- You need to have a Social Security number, EIN, or ITIN.
- The on-line form must be completed in one session (you can’t interrupt the session and then come back and continue it).
- No more than one person can apply for your EIN each day.
In completing the on-line application you will be required to give information about:
- The type of legal structure of your company (LLC is among the options you can choose)
- Number of members of your LLC
- The state where your business is physically located
- A reason for why you need the tax ID number (e.g. hiring employees)
- Your name and your Social Security data
After completing the application, the federal tax ID number will be immediately sent to you on-line.